In this article I will explain a step by step tutorial, how to configure Entity Framework and connect to SQL Server database in ASP.Net MVC.
Here I am making use of Microsoft’s Northwind Database. You can download it from here.
Configuring and connecting Entity Framework to database
Following are the steps for configuring Entity Framework and connecting to SQL Server database.
1. You will need to add Entity Data Model to your project by right clicking the Solution Explorer and then click on Add and then New Item option of the Context Menu.
2. From the Add New Item dialog window, select ADO.NET Entity Data Model and give a suitable Name and click on Add.
3. Then, from the Entity Data Model Wizard select EF Designer from database option.
4. Now the wizard will ask you to connect and configure the Connection String to the database. Here click on New Connection.
5. Then, from the Connection Properties dialog window, you will need to select the
1. SQL Server Instance
And then click Test Connection to make sure all settings are correct.
6. Once the Connection String is generated, select the Yes, include the sensitive data in the connection string RadioButton and click on Next.
6. Next, you will need to choose the Entity Framework version to be used for connection.
7. Now you will need to choose the Tables you need to connect and work with Entity Framework. Here Customers Table is selected.
8. The above was the last step and now, the Entity Data Model is ready with the Customers Table of the Northwind Database.