In this article I will explain how to add and display Serial Number (Row Number) column in RDLC Reports.
In RDLC Report an additional column is inserted and then using an Expression the Serial Number (Row Number) is generated and shown in the report.
If you want to learn how to use RDLC Reports in Windows and ASP.Net web applications, please refer the following articles.
Steps to display Serial Number column (Row Number) in RDLC Reports
1. Right click on the first column and click on Insert Column option in the context menu and then select Left sub option as we want to add a new column in the first position.
2. Double click on the header cell of the first column and type the desired text.
3. Right click on the cell of the new column and click on Expression option in the context menu.
4. The above action will open the Expression dialog. Inside the Category box, you need to look for the Common Functions node and expand it.
Now click on the Miscellaneous node and then double click on the RowNumber item which will generate an expression in the Expression TextBox.
Finally write down the expression as RowNumber(Nothing) and click OK.
Note: Here Nothing specifies that there are no Groups in the RDLC report and when you specify the Group name it will generate a new series for each group.
Once you click OK, you should see the <<Expr>> in your Serial Number (Row Number).
5. Finally run the project and you will see the Serial Number (Row Number) automatically being generated and displayed.