In this article I will explain a short tutorial with example on how to use ViewBag in ASP.Net MVC Core 2.1.
ViewBag is a wrapper written over ViewData in order to make it easier to use and it was present in ASP.Net MVC Razor and now continued in ASP.Net MVC Core.
What is ViewBag
1. ViewBag is a Wrapper built around ViewData.
2. ViewBag is a dynamic property and it makes use of the C# 4.0 dynamic features.
3. While retrieving, there is no need for Type Casting data.
4. ViewBag is used for passing value from Controller to View.
5. ViewBag is available only for Current Request. It will be destroyed on redirection.
In the below example, a string value is set in the ViewBag object in Controller and it is then displayed in View.
public class HomeController : Controller
public IActionResult Index()
ViewBag.Message = "This is my First MVC Core 2.1 App.";
Layout = null;
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width"/>