In this article I will explain how to get rid of the following error when working with IIS 8 and ASP.Net.
HTTP Error 404.3 – Not Found: The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map.
You will get above error when accessing the ASP.Net Website (.ASPX page) installed in IIS 8 when ASP.Net is not installed in the IIS 8 Web Server.
Steps to install ASP.Net in IIS 8 Web Server
1. Open Server Manager and in its Dashboard click “Add roles and features”.
2. Click next on the “Before You Begin” information step.
3. On the “Installation Type” step select “Role-based on feature-based installation” and click next.
4. On the “Server Selection” step select your server and click next.
5. On the “Server Roles” step select “Application Development” and its child nodes which includes .Net, ASP.Net, CGI and other items.
6. On the “Features” step, I have selected “ASP.Net 4.5” as I had to host ASP.Net 4.5 website but you can also select any ASP.Net version or all as per your need.
7. On the Results step the selected roles and features will install and once completed you need to restart the computer in order to finalize the installation.